Wow! Good luck, Britain!

Wow! Good luck, Britain!

People’s Vote march: ‘700,000’ rally for new Brexit referendum – as it happened

Organisers say 700,000 turned out on Saturday in central London for the ‘second most attended demonstration this century’

This entry was posted in The Global Picture. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Wow! Good luck, Britain!

1. Andrew Fisk says:

So the idea is to keep having referenda until you get the answer the government want.

I can see that being a huge success in California, don’t like that proposition? drag your feet implementing it till the next vote.

2. Looks like the second largest march on record.

3. Cindy Brown says:

Andrew Fisk Not following you here. Every last politician in the UK is intent on following Brexit, god only knows why. They are not trying to get the people to reverse the 2016 referendum.

4. Well many Scottish politicians are not pro Brexit but then Scotland voted remain by a pretty big margin. So they are reflecting the preference of their constituency.

5. Cindy Brown says:

Ack, fair enough. I really should have said the Tory and Labour parties both (which control Westminster, etc). Scotland can’t do another referendum on stay or go without Westminster, if I understand correctly.

I know Sturgeon wants to keep Scotland in the EU (though assuming they could separate from the UK, I don’t know whether they could get grandfathered into the EU or have to start from zero).

6. Yes definitely Tory and Labour are for sure trying to press ahead on Brexit.

7. Cindy Brown says:

And NONE of this makes ANY sense at all. NO roadplans on the Brexit have been done AT ALL, which makes March 19 a drive off the cliff day. All treaties are done at that point. Poof. Gone. I honestly don’t understand this. I don’t see how this looks good to anyone. Article 50 could be rescinded at any time, but they just. don’t.

8. I KNOW! I mean come on people what is the first rule when you find yourself in a hole?

9. Andrew Fisk says:

Cindy Brown Can you imagine the political life span of a politician who went against the vote. Think how pissed off you were with the election of a president by a minority of voters.

10. Sometimes politicians need to do what is right instead of what is popular.

11. In this case those two things may not be in conflict. It appears that a lot of people voted based on information that later turned out to be untrue and might not vote the same way now that they know that.

12. Cindy Brown says:

I’m just surprised that the gov’t hasn’t toppled on no confidence. I’m also surprised that Labour seems to be pro Brexit as well.

Add in to all this the utter incompetence of any of the British politicians in setting up a coherent exit strategy. That’s the other part of it.

The whole thing was set up by Cameron who was playing chicken with the BNP and it blew up in his face. This is why no one actually had a plan (nor seems to have come up with anything in the 2 yrs since).

13. Andrew Fisk says:

Christina Talbott-Clark wouldn’t that be a violation of the trust you placed in someone to “represent” you?

14. Andrew Fisk says:

To be horribly cynical, do you think either party is willing to give up power to the EU.

15. Elections set a direction based on what the people who show up think at the time. If that direction doesn’t work out very well then new elections can provide course corrections. Its not like, well we voted once and now that’s the plan for eternity.

16. Cindy Brown says:

“Give up” power to the EU? They haven’t gained anything at all so far. Nothing gets tripped until March 19th.

You are commenting as if the original Brexit was 70-30. Remain was 48% of the vote. That’s a lot of people.

17. Cindy Brown says:

Craziest part is May was a Remainer.

Speaking at the bank in London on 26 May [2016], the then home secretary appeared to go further than her public remarks to explain more clearly the economic benefits of staying in the EU. She told staff it was time the UK took a lead in Europe, and that she hoped voters would look to the future rather than the past.

In an hour-long session before the City bankers, she also worried about the effect of Brexit on the British economy.

“I think the economic arguments are clear,” she said. “I think being part of a 500-million trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe.

18. I think that the only reason there han’t been open insurrection is that people have hoped May could at least get an “intelligent” Brexit. Her efforts are frustrated and undermined at every step by people who want her to fail.
    The Farages, Rees Moggs et al. are investment fund managers and the profits to be made from asset stripping the businesses that will go bust far outweigh any consideration for the good of the country.

Remainers and leavers do not follow party lines, although I think if the Labour party had been less limp-wristed about it, the outcome of the vote would have been different – but the ideologues of the left, such as Corbyn, dislike Europe as much as those of the right.

US cousins could think of Brexit as the testing ground for techniques used in the election of #45 – it is where Cambridge Analytica put into practice (illegally funded by the Brexit campaign) the ideas they had been working on – although, apparently, there was no sustained involvement by the Russians…

19. And many of the techniques had been tested in Kenya and the Ukraine and others before that. Hopefully we will all start to learn from these examples. Seems like maybe some places are starting to.

20. Andrew Fisk Sure.

But if I were dead-set against civil rights, or public school funding, or single-payer healthcare, or environmental conservation, to take a few examples, it would be to everyone’s benefit, including mine, for my representatives to ignore my wishes.

(As it happens, the opposite is true; I support all those things, and my representatives ignore me. But I digress.)

The majority isn’t always right. Integrating public schools was viciously opposed. It happened anyway. It was the right thing to do. Germany abolished the death penalty at a time when the majority of the population supported it. A generation or so later, most people agree with that decision.

We elect people to lead, not bow to the will of the mob.

I could go on from here about how we could improve our electoral system to encourage candidates to run as true public servants rather than for self-aggrandizement, as too often seems to happen, but my point, I hope, is clear.

21. Majority rule isn’t unlimited. The majority cannot, for example, vote to rob and kill minorities. If they attempt to do so, the laws, constitutions, courts and other structures of government including leadership, are authorized and indeed required to stop them. Equally the leadership are are also limited and constrained by the laws and cannot do any damn fool thing they want to. That’s why we have these structures. To provide guardrails.

22. Donna Buckles dig deeper and hope you strike gold?

23. Why do people make these semi cryptic hostile remarks? What is the purpose?

24. Donna Buckles it was a reply to your ‘I mean come on people what is the first rule when you find yourself in a hole?’ comment. It was merely meant as a joke…

GPlus showed me a stale list of comments, so I guess the context got lost.

25. Thanks for explaining Filip H.F. Slagter! I made that comment a day ago so I didn’t make the connection. It all makes much more sense now!

26. Donna Buckles yeah, I can see how out of context it could be seen as hostile. 🙂
    Let’s just blame Google for the misunderstanding 😂