butternut squash risotto

butternut squash risotto

brown the shallot/celery/garlic and toast the rice in a little olive oil

add water bring to boil and then stir over low heat next 20-30 mins

add the roasted butternut squash and some butter and/or creme and/or mascarpone to mix in

salt and pepper to taste throughout

i usually also fry up a bunch of sliced brussels sprouts with either nuts, bacon, or chestnuts to top the risotto, but that’s optional (but that’s what you see in one of the pix).

This version is completely vegetarian, though I suppose you could do this with chicken broth instead of water (and ofc if you use bacon in the brussels sprouts topping…)

It could be dairy free if you omit the butter/creme mixing in at end, as well, but I like my risotto with that extra oomph.

I use mexican table cream which tastes to me rather like a more liquidy form of mascarpone (but spoils a LOT less quickly).

This entry was posted in and now for something else.... Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to butternut squash risotto

1. Cindy Brown says:

Also I make risotto entirely by eye… use about 3x water as rice and bring to low heat after you get the water up to a boil. Stir constantly. When the rice has absorbed most of the water, check the rice. If it is not yet soft, add 1/4c or so water and keep stirring. When it’s suddenly nice and creamy and the water’s all taken up, you’re done.

2. Cindy Brown says:

I need to get some more and make apple butternut squash soup!

3. Sami Tabla says:

I haven’t had access to a kitchen stove/oven in 5 years and now all I can think about is fried sliced brussels sprouts and what a great side dish that could be. 🙂

4. Cindy Brown says:

I love topping all kinds of things with fried sliced brussels sprouts. They’re even good raw dumped into a salad.

5. I need to try making risotto. My memory is I don’t let it get creamy enough.

6. Cindy Brown says:

Cass Morrison That’s the extra water part… if it has absorbed all the water but it’s not quite done, add more. And stir…the more you stir the more starches are released and the creamier it is. I do cheat a bit with a pat of butter or a spoonful of cream once i’ve taken it off the heat 🙂

7. Bob Lai says:

Serious Eats has an interesting approach to risotto – rinse the rice with whatever liquid you’re using, toast the rice … then add the liquid (which has the starch from the rice). You don’t have to stir constantly, and it’s done in about 20 minutes.

8. Cindy Brown says:

I think toasting is key… when I make risotto without toasting OMG that takes forever.

I’ll have to try the rinsing water bit. Though I really don’t mind stirring risotto, I’m usually there doing something anyway and can just reach over to stir pretty frequently.

9. Cook (vegan spouse) is away so I’m going to try today.

10. Cindy Brown says:

Let us know how it goes! Pictures! Do you want a more detailed recipe with amounts?

11. Cindy Brown says:

3/4 c carnaroli (or arborio, maratelli, etc) rice

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 shallot, minced

1 stalk celery, small diced

1 Tbs butter

2 Tbs mascarpone, table creme, etc (optional)

1 butternut squash, med diced

Toss diced squash in a little EVOO and S+P and then spread on roast pan, 475F for ~15 mins

In large saucepan or heavy bottom stock pot heat 2-3 Tbs EVOO until hot. Add garlic, shallot, celery, S+P to taste. Cook until tender. Add rice, stirring occasionally until toasted and fragrant. Add 3.5 c water, S+P to taste. Heat to boiling on high, then turn down to med-high and cook ~20 minutes, stirring frequently, If rice is not soft when water is absorbed, add 1/4c or so of water and continue cooking/stirring until soft & creamy. Take off heat, and mix in butter, cream, and roasted butternut.

12. Cindy Brown says:

This recipe makes a fair amount. You can scale it down, and use some of the butternut squash for something else, of course (like soup!).