Surprising everyone but women…

Surprising everyone but women…

‘Paying to stay safe’: why women don’t walk as much as men

A study shows in most countries, women walk significantly fewer steps each day than men. Talia Shadwell hears from people all over the world saying the same thing: it’s down to personal safety, not laziness

This entry was posted in Fighting Bigotry. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Surprising everyone but women…

1. peter k says:

A friend of mine and her daughter spent a few hours one day demonstrating and explaining what women do to walk as safely as they can in a city.

Men and women do things differently in so many different ways – most of it being men have male privilege and women are avoiding harassment and avoiding being groped.

One of the main differences was around bumping. Men don’t worry much about being bumped for various reasons. Women set things up so they won’t be bumped.

2. My wife likes to go on walks, more often than me, around Hietaniemi. It’s very different here, beautiful and safe. Today she actually met the president (of Finland) passing by walking his dog there. She said she didn’t see any security detail. I suppose also the president feels safe here. I wish women all around the world could feel as safe as here in Finland.

3. Gregg Gies says:

I generally have my hand on my wallet in potential bumping situations, but that’s absolutely nothing compared to worrying about having my privates grabbed, my butt fondled, my nipples pinched, and whatever else women (and girls) have to protect themselves against.

4. Adam Black says:

A few years ago I started crossing the street whenever I would be behind a woman at night ( because articles like this said I should )
    But it had the opposite effect, freaking out women, so I stopped.

5. Adam Black says:

Danial Hallock A few years back I had a Construction worker literally fall asleep on my lap, on the Subway. I just got tired of pushing him back up.

I could have moved. ( But he would have fallen ). O wait, I Did slide one seat over, which is how he ended up on my lap.

( If he wasn’t a huge construction worker, I would had to worry about third parties threatening me if they thought he was a lover. Because Straight Privilege. )

At first I was annoyed for having him fall on me , and worried about optics. Then I was sympathetic because it wasn’t his fault, he couldn’t stay awake. Then, I just relaxed into the homoeroticism and hoped I got a phone number.

I wanted to see how this would end.

What was surprising was he very suddenly woke up at his stop, and got up.

Without even noticing he was cuddling on my crotch for 4 stops.

6. Brian Arbenz says:

A girlfriend years ago told me her college education had been hampered because she would not take night classes that were available. She had been a commuter full time student. I had too during that same period, but taking night classes had never been a problem for me. Our contrasting experiences made me realize that whereas all men aren’t predators, all men receive unsought unconscious advantages in a competitive society due to sexual assault. Yes, the vast majority of men are good men who don’t rape, but the posture of their gender in this issue involves more than good intentions.

7. My father’s contribution to my college education was to loan me a car and pay the insurance. This allowed me to work midnight to 8AM at a job that paid more than minimum wage.

8. peter k says:

worth repeating: “Yes, the vast majority of men are good men who don’t rape, but the posture of their gender in this issue involves more than good intentions. ”

9. My ex-gf explained to me once that when sitting in a train (public transport is sort of much more used in my country than perhaps in USA), she tries to choose a car with a long “cabin” with dozens of seats, and avoids the cabins with 6 to 8 seats which have the potential to be almost empty.

Adam Black​ whenever I realize I am walking behind a lonely woman in a dark street, I try to get in front of her and walk in front of her rather than being the scary thud, thud of footsteps behind her for which she has to think if she is ok to look behind. But maybe it scares them more. I guess I could ask few random women but that would be probably even scarier :-(.

10. Cindy Brown says:

If you’re walking behind a woman just fall behind. Ie walk slower so the distance increases. Or cross the street to the other side, or turn off somewhere to let her get ahead. Overtaking, way too stressful. Following for long periods of time, way too stressful. If she suddenly takes off in another direction, obv. don’t follow.

11. Pete Hardie says:

Cindy Brown – I do this as well, if the woman is not part of a group or if there is no other foot traffic.
    I assume that if there are lots of people walking in the same direction that the impact of my presence is not a factor

12. Gretchen S. says:

That time when I stopped to give the Demeanor Assessment Look at the man who was right behind me as I entered an alley, and it was Sweetie. Oblivious to me because he can listen to audio books while walking, and not pay attention to other people.