You know, in the U.S. the revolution would be fucking overlooked: Poll: Barely Half Of Americans Know Health Care Law Hasn’t Been Repealed.
The crazy on unions just keeps piling up:
- GOP-union debate escalates in Indiana
- Oklahoma panel votes to repeal collective bargaining
- The GOP’s War On The Middle Class
- Detroit Schools Closing: Michigan Officials Order Robert Bobb To Shut Half The City’s Schools
- Ohio: Like Egypt, people at Statehouse want a say in things that affect their lives
- Not Just Transportation – Collective Bargaining Stripping Could Threaten Wisconsin Forestry Industry
- California: Wisconsin in California?
- And he’s such a fucking charmer: Huckabee On Whether Republicans Are Union Busting: ‘So What?!’ Although that sort of naked honesty is refreshing.
- Union-Busting Is Theft — a Weapon of Class Warfare from Above
- Jeffrey Sachs: This is the Billionaires Final Deed of Crushing Workers to the Maximum Extent
- Think Again: The Contours and Context of the Conservative Class War in Wisconsin
- Main Street Movement Erupts as Thousands Across Country Protest War on the Middle Class
- As someone else commented, oh yeah, that U.S. Labor Union is COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL!!1! Vacation and Holiday Laws.
- Video clips, but the take-away here is the chants of SHAME, SHAME, as the GOP conducts the vote: WISCONSIN: Assembly GOP Pulls Sneak Attack Vote To Ban Bargaining Rights
- The New York Times Plays Into Gov. Walker’s Hands
And sometimes, in the middle of all this rhetoric about unions and what they are or aren’t, it pays to step back and look at the people: Mom.
I kind of hesitate to compare Egypt and Wisconsin too much (after all, there’s no tear gas or guns involved), but these articles remind me a lot of what we saw coming out of Tahrir Square in the days leading up to Feb 11th: The Incredible Ecosystem of the Wisconsin State Capitol. Also, Activists Occupy GOP Headquarters in Madison.
I’m sorry. BOO FUCKING HOO. Oh, I feel better, thanks. Weiner Offends The GOP On House Floor: You’re All ‘Owned’ By The ‘Insurance Industry’!.
In the realm of the utterly bizarre: One More Elite Institution Goes Batty. I mean, this is Chrichton book material stuff o.O
And more violence fuckery: Secret Service interviews Georgia constituent who asked who will `shoot’ Obama; case is `closed matter’. Thing is Broun didn’t condemn the guy who asked this, He Laughed … More on Broun: Broun’s Vitriol Spawns Hate As Constituent Asks Congressman, ‘Who’s Going To Shoot President Obama?’
This goes back to my earlier arguments that social media is what you make of it. And of course it can be used both ways: How to Use Facebook if You Are a Repressive Regime.
Women’s rights continue under attack:
- And back again to attempts to classify miscarriages as possible abortions to criminally investigate: Dear Rep. Franklin: I Submit My Used Tampons as Evidence
- More on assaults against women’s rights: Iowa bills open door for use of deadly force to protect the unborn
- Um. Vatican: Priests Have Been Raping Nuns to Avoid Hookers with HIV
- Note the linkage between women’s rights & gay rights — all about the gender police: A Fag Hag Demands Payback
Some DOMA fallout:
- You know there’s a reason I literally am unable to read “WorldNetDaily” (I had to cut and paste that) as anything other than “WingNutDaily”: WND’s Alan Keyes Likens Gay Marriage To “Granting Plantation Owners The Right To Own Slaves”. *blink*blink*blink*
- More unhinged responses to the DOMA announcement by the President the other day: Kuhner Responds To DOMA Decision With Unhinged, Anti-Gay Rant
- Matthew Vadum Calls For Obama Impeachment Over DOMA. The latter would be because No! President! Ever! has declined to defend a Law! Erm, I direct your attention to this: Government’s ‘Duty to Defend’ Not a Given. Thank you.
- On a much more positive note: The Fallout: DOJ Drops First Circuit DOMA Defense; Immigration and DADT Questions Raised
- And Onion weighs in 😉 Marauding Gay Hordes Drag Thousands Of Helpless Citizens From Marriages After Obama Drops Defense Of Marriage Act
Yeah, this doesn’t surprise me either. A willingness to think and examine various assumptions (including ones’ own) makes for a very different environment than the more typical conservative lockstep think-like-us mindset: Does Academia Discriminate Against Conservatives? Unlikely.
More on US Uncut: Get Up! Stand Up!. There’s an audiocast, but it’s summarized and commented in the article.
The Mother Jones article is picking up: Income Gap Widening Among Rich and Poor, Says Report.
Federal level pushback:
- This is stuff we really need to know and a government committed to transparency would implement this immediately: Watchdog group to White House: Reveal all lobbyist meetings.
- Government shutdown: No way out for GOP. They tried this in 1995 and it totally backfired on them. Of course, back then, President Clinton was willing to call them on their bullshit. Will Obama do the same, or try to cut a deal somewhere and throw the rest of us under the bus?
- Must read: What You Need to Know About the Assault on NPR and PBS
OK, a bit of levity: Anonymous Hacks Westboro Baptist Church on Live Talk Show. Just don’t fucking mess with anonymous. One of them will eventually decide to take you down. Ha. Right in the middle of the show, too :D. Anonymous later tweeted that their site was actually a bit more difficult to get into than HBGary’s (since the latter was vulnerable to SQL injection, plus email requests for passwords once an account was compromised), but honestly that’d only be because WBC wouldn’t know what to do with a database if it sat up and bit them. Only so much you can do with a 1998 era website using HTML 1.0…