No, not some kind of porn movie. 😉 I know, that’s what I thought when I started seeing #ukuncut on twitter. But UK Uncut was much more interesting than that when I started reading up on it, and I wrote about it a short time back in Hell, yes: Taxes are the membership fees for a civilized society. And now it seems we’re finally doing a US version, with many city by city chapters (not yet in San Diego, last I checked, but am keeping an eye out!). As US Uncut says:
US Uncut is about taking action against unnecessary and unfair cuts to public services across the US. […]Obama seeks to trim $1.1 trillion from the budget in the next ten years by cutting or eliminating over 200 federal programs, many dedicated to social services and education. For instance, it cuts in half funding to subsidize heating for low-income Americans; limits an expansion of the Pell grant program for students; and decreases Environmental Protection Agency funding by over 12%.
Meanwhile, Republicans are using their new House majority to slash spending even more brutally. The GOP has made it clear that they are bent on raiding funds for Social Security, Medicare, education; determined to kill health care reform; and gut needed investments in infrastructure, climate change and job creation, at a time when America needs it most […]
But there is an alternative: Make corporate tax avoiders pay.
Enjoying record profits and taxpayer-funded bailouts as the economy slowly recovers from a financial crisis, nearly two-thirds of US corporations don’t pay any income taxes, instead opting to abuse tax loopholes and offshore tax havens.
Maddening? Yes! Is there anything we can do about it? Hell, yes — UK Uncut is making quite a bit of difference and we can do, too. Check out US Uncut’s website:US Uncut and read their WHAT TO DO page:
I: HOW TO GET STARTED
1. Plan your action for the US Uncut/UK Uncut suggested days of action. Do this by coming to the website, clicking the actions tab, and telling everyone when and where your action will be.
2. Search for or create your local chapter. Search through our twitter feed for mentions of existing US Uncut groups.
3. Spread the word. Mention @usuncut and use the hashtag #usuncut in related posts. Create a facebook event and invite your friends. Call/email your local newspapers, radio stations and TV stations.
II: PLANNING AND TAKING ACTION IN 5 EASY STEPS
1. Choose your target. Go to the “Targets” tab on the website to find a list of and information on America’s most egregious tax dodgers.
2. Plan your specific action. Find one of those companies’ local branches in your community. On Saturday, February 26th, US Uncut’s suggested target is Bank of America. Local organizers are free to act autonomously and choose a different target if necessary.
3. Bring friends, meet new people. Tell friends, family members, coworkers, business associates, classmates, roommates, neighbors, teammates, fellow churchgoers, significant others and everyone else you know about your action.
4. Be creative, think outside the box. US Uncut follows UK Uncut’s example of creative protests. Watch their video here for how to stage a bail-in at your target corporation on the day of action you’ve planned. Make it fun and interesting!
5. Do it already! On your planned day of action, go to your target and stage your action. Emphasis is on creativity and nonviolent, direct action. Make sure you print out some flyers with useful information on your target’s tax dodging activities, tie that to low tax revenues for your state, and how that relates to unnecessary budget cuts. hand it out to everyone you see!
6. Bring a video camera. If it isn’t captured in video or photographs, it didn’t happen. Be sure to share your video with the US Uncut twitter feed and send it to your local media.
Staging your own US Uncut action is easy. This website will serve as your organization’s hub to plan local actions at specific targets. Remember- it is entirely up to you to plan and take action.
Let’s get to work. See you on the streets.