- Watch as the world's cities appear one-by-one over 6,000 years - Metrocosm 6 mins ago
- The Moron’s Case For Hillary Clinton…because some of you really are that stupid. « The Contrarian Blog 54 mins ago
- DOJ: Trump’s Early Businesses Blocked Blacks - The Daily Beast 1 hour ago
- How Nextdoor reduced racist posts by 75% | Fusion 2016/08/28
- Abortion ban linked to dangerous miscarriages at Catholic hospital, report claims | US news | The Guardian 2016/08/26
- How Hillary Clinton Could Win the Debates - The New York Times 2016/08/26
- The Pipe for Santa Monica Pier desalinizes 1.5 billion gallons of drinking water for California | Inhabitat - Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building 2016/08/26
- Complaint: Citing Catholic Rules, Doctor Turns Away Bleeding Woman With Dislodged IUD - Rewire 2016/08/26
The number of acute care hospitals that are Catholic owned or affiliated has grown by 22 percent over the past 15 years, according to MergerWatch, with one in every six acute care hospital beds now in a Catholic owned or affiliated facility. Women in such hospitals have been turned away while miscarrying and denied tubal ligations.
- Stanford rape case judge Aaron Persky will no longer hear criminal trials: report 2016/08/26
The move comes months after Persky was thrust into the spotlight for sentencing Brock Turner to six months in jail for raping a woman. Not only was he the target of an online petition calling for the removal from the bench, but Persky was also criticized by Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and California Attorney General Kamala Harris (D), among other officials. A group of 10 prospective jurors also refused to serve in Persky’s court this past June, citing his handling of the Turner case. That same month, he was removed from a different sexual assault case after prosecutors complained. The furor against Persky continued following reports that he also allowed 37-year-old Ming Hsuan Chiang to serve in “weekend jail,” rather than a full jail sentence for beating his fiancee and threatening her life, in order to avoid interfering with Chiang’s work schedule.
- How Did This Happen to Leslie Jones? 2016/08/25
Intersectionality and online haters at their worst.
Tag Archives: facebook
[Audio: German; Captions: English] Ever. Tweet
There are days when I want to just bash my head on the nearest brick wall. It started off with MoveOn’s moronically titled post about the Slut Walk protests: 10 Best Photos From This Summer’s Most Scantily Clad Movement. This, … Continue reading
Facebook is notoriously insecure. It has flipflopped — more often then McCain — on privacy settings, policies. It keeps rolling out “new” features that undermine old settings. And given the business facebook is in, it WILL be using and harvesting … Continue reading
Really a lot of stuff going on in MENA right now, it’s almost impossible to keep up. Key countries: Libya – la terre brûlée: Looks like on the cusp of civil war, as Ghadaffi is responding with extreme violence to … Continue reading
[Audio: Arabic; Captions: none; Transcript: see below] I was on twitter when he was interviewed, so the tweets provided live coverage and translation for me. The interview is absolutely heartbreaking, and is translated/transcribed here: Wael @Ghonim (thanks to @exiledsurfer who … Continue reading
In looking over this article, one thing that strikes me is that these Wikileaks commentaries are becoming a blend of current political issues as well as Wikileaks news, and not just purely articles about Wikileaks itself. In fact, this article … Continue reading