- Casey Malone Is The Brute Squad, Hey everyone, If you’re here, it’s probably... 33 mins ago
- Kickstarter Thinks Redditor’s Creepy Dating Book Is ‘Abhorrent,’ But Declines to Remove It | Betabeat 43 mins ago
- Why cops don’t believe rape victims and how brain science can solve the problem. - Slate Magazine 5 hours ago
In the past decade, neurobiology has evolved to explain why victims respond in ways that make it seem like they could be lying, even when they’re not. Using imaging technology, scientists can identify which parts of the brain are activated when a person contemplates a traumatic memory such as sexual assault. The brain’s prefrontal cortex—which is key to decision-making and memory—often becomes temporarily impaired. The amygdala, known to encode emotional experiences, begins to dominate, triggering the release of stress hormones and helping to record particular fragments of sensory information. Victims can also experience tonic immobility—a sensation of being frozen in place—or a dissociative state. These types of withdrawal result from extreme fear yet often make it appear as if the victim did not resist the assault.
- SEC Will Get Tougher On Wrongdoing At Big Banks 8 hours ago
I'll believe this when I actually see them do this.
- The 4-Minute Workout - NYTimes.com 8 hours ago
- Hospital investors ‘sold’ on Obamacare despite bumps | The Raw Story 8 hours ago
- Brazil: The giant has awoken | Red Pepper 8 hours ago
- Google challenges U.S. gag order, citing First Amendment - The Washington Post 8 hours ago
Google asked the secretive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court on Tuesday to ease long-standing gag orders over data requests it makes, arguing that the company has a constitutional right to speak about information it’s forced to give the government. The legal filing, which cites the First Amendment’s guarantee of free speech, is the latest move by the California-based tech giant to protect its reputation in the aftermath of news reports about sweeping National Security Agency surveillance of Internet traffic.
- Check out the full Bank of America whistleblower details (affidavits) - Salon.com 8 hours ago
- Brazil protests erupt over public services and World Cup costs | World news | guardian.co.uk 8 hours ago
- No items.
Tag Archives: at&t
More online news like this, please: New Orleans gets flood help; Memphis breathes easier. Note captions (use “subtitle” option), AND transcript available! Nifty. Although there’s an extremely amusing caption typo at 00:17. Overseeing Government Oversight. Live tweeting of the hearings … Continue reading